Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Mattel Alex Morgan Shero Doll - Philly Sighting

Mattel Shero Alex Morgan doll and some 2020 Fashionista dolls

I do apologize for this fuzzy photo*. I'm leaving it to show the doll's appearance in a local Target store (for locals, this was taken at the South Philly Target). If you are a fan of the U.S. women's national soccer team, you might want to add this doll to your collection. You can read about her in this Barbie website post. If you cannot find her near you, you can order her from Mattel. I have no interest in team sports. I don't find this doll attractive - she reminds me of a homelier Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, doll by Arklu Ltd. However, she is on a Made-to-Move Barbie body so ... maybe if she was discounted enough, I might get her and attempt a repaint.

Aside - the real person, Alex Morgan, looks much better than Mattel's doll. The doll's mouth has an exaggerated V-shape. Then again, you can tell whom the doll is meant to be - if you know about soccer, etc. - so maybe a skilled doll artist could improve the resemblance? Maybe. What do you think?



*If I see this doll again, I'll replace this photo.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm not familiar with the lady, but always a fan of made-to-move bodies:@)
PS-I did pick-up one of the BTS at Five Below, thanks for the heads-up.

D7ana said...

Hi, Linda and Lynne!

@Linda - I agree with you. The doll mouth has an exaggerated V shape that the athlete doesn't have. Eyes are tricky sometimes for Mattel, but they've done a good base considering the doll is mass-produced.

I'm surprised that the Arklu Kate doll looks prettier than the Mattel Alex doll although the Mattel doll probably is a better quality doll ;-)

@Lynne - I'd never heard of her before I saw the Mattel doll at Target. Shrug.

Yay! Glad you got a BTS at Five Below! I'll check your blog to see which one and what you do with him ;-)

monstercrafts said...

I also don't find the doll pretty at all. The smile is too big and looks akward. They could have used an existing sculpt like Tango, work on an eye resemblance and she would look close enough, compared to other celebrity dolls. I find funny how sometimes when they make this she-ro dolls, they make them prettier or younger than the actual person, but this time they made her look older.

D7ana said...

Hi, Monstercrafts! Thanks for stopping by and for commenting. I agree - this Mattel doll isn't pretty or young-looking. The mouth shape is off. Bayley from their WWE Divas dolls could have been repainted to give a closer resemblance, if they wanted an open mouth look. Shrug. Sad.