Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sixth Scale Finds at the 2010 Black Doll Show

I confess: when I attended the International Black Doll Show at the Convention Center in downtown Philadelphia, I thought I would not see any playscale dolls or action figures. Wasn't I pleasantly surprised by these finds? See the following photos:



O.J. Simpson (no comment), Bob Scout (help, Roxanne! Is that Bob?), and a character from Welcome Back, Kotter whose name I don't recall.




Mod era Julias in original Julia fashions by Mattel.




Venus or Serena Williams and Integrity Toys' African Legends Janay.




I think the name of the black female in silvery armor is Nubia, but I don't recall her character other than that. My younger brother was the Wonder Woman t.v. show fan. Something about Lynda Carter twirling around, LOL.




Integrity Toys' African Legends Nakia.


All dolls photographed were available for sale by doll dealer Linda Hayes.

More information about the International Black Doll Show will appear in a Philadelphia Examiner article.

10 comments:

Black Doll Enthusiast said...

Thanks for sharing your experience at the Philly show during Memorial Day Weekend. Linda (the doll collector/dealer) is a member of my list. OJ Simpson by Shindana is part of my collection. Dave is the Scout by Kenner. The Kotter character is Freddie "Boom-Boom" Washington played by actor, Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs. Had I realized Linda was selling Nubia I would have snatched her up and I will if it didn't sell during the show. Thanks again for sharing!

dbg

Niel said...

I thought that there was an AA wonder woman. Never heard of that character before. I think I'm gonna consult google. :)

D7ana said...

Hi DBG and Niel!

You're welcome, DBG. I've got to contact the dealers/artists and double check that everyone is okay having my photos uploaded. Hence the delay. I'll get things sorted though ;-D

Niel, I have a link for you - WonderWoman museum. You've probably Googled the Nubia character, but I found this link so ....

Bb said...

I love the mod Julias!

D7ana said...

Hi BB! I love the colorful 60s fashions, too ;-D

I have a TNT Julia and a few other 60s-70s dolls. Uh oh, dating myself there, ha.

RoxanneRoxanne said...

DBG already stated this but that is Dave Cub Scout doll, not Bob Scout. Dave is a little bit younger than Bob. You found some great dolls at the show! I have the Venus and Serena dolls also.

D7ana said...

Thanks, Roxanne, for the additional information about Dave Scout. I missed getting him and the others. (I would dearly have loved to get the Nubia. She seemed to have a different head mold from WonderWoman. Sigh.)

I have seen the Venus and Serena dolls, but at that time, I was mainly Barbie focused. Another miss on my part ... eh, but it's nice to see them in other collections ;-D

AilanthusAltissima said...

Great finds!

Anonymous said...

These tan skin dolls are so beautiful!
Esas muñequitas negras son muy bonitas!
Sorry bad english

D7ana said...

I thank you, Anonymous. Your English is good. The dolls are very pretty.