Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Liv Wigs Get Real on Another Fashion Doll

A PhillyCollector reader asked if the Liv wigs could be worn by Barbie dolls.

My first thought was no. Just a quick look and no ... not possible. The wig is too big for Barbie's smaller head. But then I looked at a Liv wig. Shame to not use the hair. Is it really too big for ALL of my dolls and action figures?

Hmmm ... let's see. Barbie's head circumference is about 4 inches. The Liv wig's circumference is 6 inches. So the Liv wigs are too big for most Barbie heads. My Scene dolls have a circumference of 5 inches ... closer, but still not an exact match. Ready to throw out your Liv wigs? Let's try something.

In the following photos, I place two Liv wigs on a Get Real Girl Skylar doll. The Get Real Girls have a head circumference of 5 inches. Without alterations, the Liv wigs fit Skylar with a slight gap in the back so that you would notice that inch difference except that I have Skyler's original hair filling in that gap. If I wanted this to be a permanent attachment, I would

1. remove Skylar's hair

2. cut the plug inside the Liv wig

3. cut a slit in the wig from the outer edge to the center to open it up

4. fit the wig around Skylar's head

5. glue the head or inside the wig and either tie it down with a scarf or hold it down with a hat

Here Get Real Girl Skyler tries on two of the Liv wigs. I prefer the black hair (Danielle's wig) over the brown hair (Alexis' wig). What is your preference?



8 comments:

Muff said...

I was gonna say the black hair, but when I looked at the larger photos I like the brown hair better. It softens her features. The black hair makes her look like she's ready to rumble. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ^_^

Georgia Girl said...

Cute! I prefer the brown wig. I wish they did fit Barbie and friends. It would be great if they could be shrunk like Muff showed us how to do the heads.

Carrickters said...

Both wigs suit her but I think I prefer the brown one. This is a really clever idea. It seems a pity to waste the Liv wigs which are very well made. I wonder if you cut a slit in the wig (as you suggest) and pulled it even tighter whether you could get it to fit Barbie.

Vita Plastica said...

Oooh, I like the curly hair best. She looks a little more realistic. I have known Latinas that look like the curly haired version of her.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: you're right that the wigs of the LIV is too big for Barbie. I prefer the second picture the doll with long hair and curl. She is very pretty. Keep in touch

D7ana said...

Hi Muff, Georgia Girl, Carrickters, Vita Plastica, and Marta! Amazing what difference color and styling can do for a character. The softer brown with curls does look ... less harsh ;-D

Cutting a small pie wedge and then closing up the gap by gluing or sewing it up might make the wig fit more closely for Barbies, but the parted pieces would look a bit heavy, off balance.

Vanessa said...

I like both wigs, but each wig does give her a different perceived personality.

D7ana said...

Hi Vanessa and thanks for commenting. Yes, they do present different personalities for Skylar. Is she rough and ready to rumble or benign and shy?

Skylar Ron is supposed to be the Asian American among the Get Real Girls, but she could be cast as Latina. Hmmm ... now should I keep her original hair do or one of the newer ones? Something to think about ....