Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Full-Figured Raven Dolls by Two Companies

We doll enthusiasts read and hear a lot of negative comments about unrealistic doll proportions. In this post, I want to share two manufacturers' alterations to their basic fashion doll bodies to better represent a fuller figured actress, Raven-Symone.

Two months ago, I had mentioned Mattel's That's So Raven doll. I had decided to use that body for Mattel's Festivals of the World Carnival Barbie. I was happy that the Raven doll body is rounder than most Barbie bodies. That difference made me wonder. Was the Play Along Galleria Garibaldi's doll body different, too? Guess what? It is. The Play Along Galleria's doll body is heavier than the basic Play Along fashion dolls.

Let's start with the Mattel Raven: her legs and torso are shorter and wider than that of this belly button bodied Fashion Fever Barbie.

Mattel That's So Raven doll (l) and Fashion Fever Barbie doll (r)
Mattel That's So Raven doll (l) and Fashion Fever Barbie doll (r)


Back view of Mattel That's So Raven doll (l) and Fashion Fever Barbie doll (r)
Back view of Mattel That's So Raven doll (l) and Fashion Fever Barbie doll (r)

Side view of Mattel Fashion Fever Barbie doll (l) That's So Raven doll (r)
Side view of Mattel Fashion Fever Barbie doll (l) That's So Raven doll (r)


Let's see Raven with other Mattel teen dolls closer to her height: Raven is heavier than Generation Girl Mari and hobbit-bodied Rebelde Lupita.

Mattel That's So Raven doll flanked by other Mattel dolls: Generation Girl Mari (l) and Rebelde Lupita (r)
Mattel That's So Raven doll flanked by other Mattel dolls: Generation Girl Mari (l) and Rebelde Lupita (r)



Back view of Mattel That's So Raven doll flanked by other Mattel dolls: Generation Girl Mari (l) and Rebelde Lupita (r)
Back view of Mattel That's So Raven doll between Generation Girl Mari (l) and Rebelde Lupita (r)


Side view of Mattel That's So Raven doll flanked by other Mattel dolls: Generation Girl Mari (l) and Rebelde Lupita (r)
Side view of Mattel That's So Raven doll and other Mattel dolls: Generation Girl Mari (l) and Rebelde Lupita (r)

The Play Along Galleria Garibaldi's doll body has more contrast to the basic Play Along doll body. Her painted-on underwear is different: Chanel on the left wears a white bikini bottom while Galleria wears embossed pink briefs.

Front view of Play Along Cheetah Girls Chanel (l) and Galleria (r)
Front view of Play Along Cheetah Girls Chanel (l) and Galleria (r)


Back view of Play Along Cheetah Girls Chanel (l) and Galleria (r)
Back view of Play Along Cheetah Girls Chanel (l) and Galleria (r)


Side view of Play Along Cheetah Girls Chanel (l) and Galleria (r)
Play Along Cheetah Girls Chanel (l) and Galleria (r) in profile


What about the two Ravens, side-by-side? Do you think one better resembles the actress, or do both fail in that department?

Mattel Raven (l) and Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (r)
Profiles of Mattel Raven (l) and Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (r)


Front view Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (l) and Mattel Raven (r)
Front view Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (l) and Mattel Raven (r)


Back view Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (l) and Mattel Raven (r)
Back view Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (l) and Mattel Raven (r)


Side view Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (l) and Mattel Raven (r)
Side view Play Along Cheetah Girl Galleria (l) and Mattel Raven (r)


Me? I think that the Play Along doll has a slight edge in resemblance. I appreciate her heavier frame, but I like the bendable arms and the complexion of the Mattel doll better. However, my Carnival Barbie will be getting that body. The Mattel Raven head mounted on a new body will become another character. Though lovely on her own, the Mbili-faced doll does not resemble the actress at all. That is my opinion.

I'd love to read your reaction. Please share them in the comments ;-)




17 comments:

RoxanneRoxanne said...

I never noticed that the Raven Barbie has a fuller body. Neither of those dolls look like Raven, but I prefer the looks of the Mattel Raven.

D7ana said...

Hi RoxanneRoxanne! I had not noticed when I bought them that either of them had different bodies ;-)

I was inclined to give the Play Along doll points for trying - I mean, they did create a different head mold, lol - their likeness is off.

Natalia said...

I didn't hear about this tv series, however i really like the dolls. Especially Mattel one:)

jSarie said...

Neither of them looks very close, but they do look like they're meant to be *someone* rather than just a generic face, so I suppose that must be worth something. At least they gave it a go, right? ;)

simsgrl said...

Hi, the dolls do not look like Raven. I prefer the Mattel one.

D7ana said...

Hi Natalia Tadra and jSarie!

@Natalia Tadra - I saw the dolls in stores and bought them. I don't get cable tv so I miss lots of series. Glad you like the dolls ;-)

@jSarie - I agree - I like that the companies tried. If the likeness is good, that is great. If not, we have a new face ;-)

D7ana said...

Hi Simsgrl! I think a lot of people agree with you ;-)

I usually prefer Mattel dolls. I do here, too, but I like the open smile of the Play Along doll. She looks friendly.

Inka said...

zachwyciłam się girl Galleria - nareszcie inne wymiary i ciekawa - w stylu Bollywood - twarz! taką panienkę chętnie bym u siebie widziała na stałe ♥

billa's dolls and fashions said...

Hi D7ana, I think the Play Along doll has a slight resemblance to Raven, I never thought that mattel bodies could have such a variety!!!

Ms. Leo said...

Can you do a comparison with the Happy Family grandmother? Are the torsos similar? I guess I mean the waist and all.

D7ana said...

Hi Inka, Billa's Dolls and Fashions, and Ms. Leo!

@Inka - Dzięki, Inka! Tak, Galleria ma coś w stylu Bollywood. Cieszę się, że mam ją w swojej kolekcji;-)


@Billa's Dolls and Fashions - I agree that the Play Along doll has a slight resemblance to Raven. She looks more like the actress than the Mattel version although the Mattel version is a prettier doll - shrug.

Oh gosh, yes! Mattel has LOTS of different bodies. I'll have to post about them someday ;-)


@Ms. Leo - The Happy Family grandmother has a thicker waist and a smaller butt. I had a photo of her with the Mattel Raven, but the background is close to their complexions so ... might be hard to distinguish.

Muff said...

The Mattel doll does not look like Raven at all. She looks just like the Uhura they did for Star Trek.

D7ana said...

Hi Muff! You are so right! The Uhura Barbie is a shade or so darker and her eyes are a little more narrow than Raven's, but they could be twins.

Jewell said...

I don't think either of them looks like the actress. I am quite fond of the Mattel version, though...so much so that I added her to my collection after your last post about her.

D7ana said...

Hi Jewell! Congrats on getting a Mattel Raven.

I've just rebodied the Carnival Barbie's head on my Raven body. Cute! Will be sharing photos soon.

april_n_paris said...

For me, neither doll looks like Raven. But it's nice that Mattel honors her character with such a pretty doll. She looks like one of the S.I.S. Barbies. They too have fuller bodies than the other Barbies. I suspect this is the same doll. Have you made that comparison? I suppose that other than a change of makeup & hair, it would be very expensive to make a special sculpt after an actress' face especially when it comes to the play line dolls.

D7ana said...

Hi April_n_Paris! The Mattel Raven doll has the same face mold as the SiS dolls - the Mbili. I have a basic Kara and a jointed Chandra, but I doubt they are as fuller figured as the Raven doll. The Raven doll's body is marked "Disney" so it's possible that Mattel can not use that body. (Mattel lost the Disney contract; Hasbro has that contract now.)

I have not done any posts comparing the Raven body to the SiS bodies or the Shani body. Hmmm ... I'll think on that.

Oddly enough, Mattel has produced unique face molds for at least 2 play line dolls - Sharpay and Chad from the Disney movie High School Musical. (The shorter Chad; the 12" one has a Jamal/Steven face.) I imagine that was a lucrative license so maybe it made sense. Interesting. Thanks for making me think about that ;-)