Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Independence Day - Free Doll Feet

Happy Fourth of July!

Yes, it's Independence Day in the United States of America. We celebrate "the publication of the declaration of independence from Great Britain in 1776." Officially. Unofficially, we celebrate summer. Think sun and beaches and outdoor eating (cookouts) and fireworks. Summer fashions are lighter weight and brighter colored. Footwear changes at this time. What's the "official" footwear of summer? Sandals! 

jSarie commented about Lukas having "sandal-friendly feet." I think she meant sculpted feet where the big toe is slightly separated from the smaller toes, allowing the doll to wear flip-flops or thongs (a kind of sandal). "Sandal-friendly feet" is a feature of some doll lines by these doll manufacturers: Integrity Toys and MGA Entertainment. Here are some examples of this foot type:

Integrity Toys Fashion Royalty Paparazzi Bait Adele's feet
Integrity Toys Fashion Royalty Paparazzi Bait Adele's feet






Integrity Toys Monsieur Z Summer Babe Wild's feet
Monsieur Z Summer Babe Wild's feet





 America's Next Top Model (ANTM) Sidney's feet
 America's Next Top Model (ANTM) Sidney's feet




Most fashion dolls have some variation of the early Barbie's high heel-molded foot like the Eskimo Barbie feet (left) and Integrity Toys Queen Adora feet (right) shown here.

Eskimo Barbie feet (left) and Integrity Toys Queen Adora feet (right)
Mattel Eskimo Barbie feet (left); Integrity Toys Adora feet (right)


Integrity Toys has improved their playscale doll feet since the days when the Janay and female friends playline dolls had "Sharpie" feet. (Nickname came from the foot's resemblance to
"Sharpie" band magic markers.) The male dolls from the Integrity Toys playline had a more basic flat foot, I think of as "sock feet." I call these feet "sock feet" because they look like the doll wears an invisible sock. The feet have a "foot-like" shape, but they usually lack the detail of the "sandal-friendly feet."


Get Set Fiona's original blue-painted pedicure
Get Set Fiona's "sock-like" feet with the original pedicure


On the plus side, these feet usually allow dolls to stand unassisted. They are easy to put shoes on, too, as long as you have shoes to fit.

A few dolls and many action figures have articulated feet, but that's material for another post.

Do your dolls have "sandal-friendly feet?" Please share their original names and manufacturers..



****************************************

For these photos, I used my computer monitor for the background. These are the sites I used:

backdrop for Integrity Toys Monsieur Z Summer Babe Wild, MGA Entertainment America's Next Top Model (ANTM) Sidney, Mattel Eskimo Barbie, Integrity Toys Queen Adora, and Get Set Fiona

backdrop for Integrity Toys Fashion Royalty Adele

17 comments:

Muff said...

Not that I have a foot fetish, but I quite enjoyed seeing all these tootsies!

Hope you had a good 4th.

Georgia Girl said...

Nice post! I have not paid much attention to doll's feet unless the shoes don't fit. Now, I need to.

Anonymous said...

Great feet! A big improvement on the molded-together toes :-). PS: go to this link tomorrow :-) https://www.flickr.com/photos/133077059@N07/19244282728/in/dateposted-public/

D7ana said...

Hi Muff, Georgia Girl, and Linda!

@Muff - glad you enjoyed the manicured tootsies. I had a fun Fourth. Hope you did, too ;-)

@Georgia Girl - glad you liked the post. I had fun checking my dolls' feet.

@Linda - lol @"Great feet!" Defined toes are interesting.

I'm going to check that link tomorrow. So exciting ;-D Thanks for the link.

RoxanneRoxanne said...

I'm glad that you had a good 4th of July D7ana! Cute post about sandal-friendly feet. The only one of my dolls that I can think of that has this type of foot (other than Fashion Royalty) is my original Calista doll. One of my Calistas (the one in the swimsuit) even came with a pair of thong sandals.

D7ana said...

Hi RoxanneRoxanne! I hope you had a happy Fourth, too ;-)

Glad you liked this post. Thanks for mentioning Calista. I missed out on the swimsuit dolls - snaps finger - but the smaller MGA Entertainment B.F.C. Ink. dolls do have the "sandal-friendly feet."

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Ah, lying on the beach, listening to the waves. Lovely.

Have you seen the feet on the new MGA Vi and Va dolls? Such a good idea, partially ruined by feet that resemble hooves.

Carrickters said...

I'll have to have a look at my dolls' feet. I don't think any of them have sandal feet though.

D7ana said...

Hi Barb the Evil Genius and Carrickters!

@Barb the Evil Genius - you go on, get your summer relax on, lol.

No, I have NOT seen the MGA Vi and Val dolls' feet. Only saw them boxed. Have to check ... hooved feet? OMG, devil dolls, lol.

@Carrickters - only a few of my dolls have sandal feet. Shrug. Variety is interesting. Although I don't mind the simpler footed dolls and action figures.

D7ana said...

Hi Barb the Evil Genius and Carrickters!

@Barb the Evil Genius - you go on, get your summer relax on, lol.

No, I have NOT seen the MGA Vi and Val dolls' feet. Only saw them boxed. Have to check ... hooved feet? OMG, devil dolls, lol.

@Carrickters - only a few of my dolls have sandal feet. Shrug. Variety is interesting. Although I don't mind the simpler footed dolls and action figures.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Well, it's not exactly like the Vi and Va feet are cloven, or anything, but the toes don't really stick out very far either, so the effect is stumpy. Actually, I went and looked at pictures again, and with the effect of the "toenails" they gave these dolls, they kind of look more like elephant's feet. You'll have to find pictures and see for yourself.

jSarie said...

This elephant-feet talk is making me curious enough to want to pick up one of those Vi & Va dolls - luckily I think they just hit the clearance racks.

Anyway, I'm always curious to see which lines have those sandal-friendly feet, so this post was fun! Except that now now I want to go to the beach...

D7ana said...

Hi Barb the Evil Genius and jSarie!

@Barb - thanks ... I see our blogging buddy Emily has a revealing photo of those feet. Talk about "cankles."

@jSarie - yay for clearance racks!

Glad you enjoyed the post - your comment inspired it ;-)

Anyone else know of other "sandal-friendly feet?"

april_n_paris said...

D7ana, this is such an original and fun post. I giggled all through your photos. My Ken dolls, FR Hommes and my Tonner Esme all have sandal friendly feet. The Esme doll came with 2 pairs of feet--one for heels, the other for flats! Nice feature.

D7ana said...

Hi April_n_Paris! Glad the post gave you giggles. I need to check my Kens' feet. Thanks for sharing the "special-footed" ;-)

Chasing Joy said...

I never paid much attention to dolls feet before. I learn so much from yoir site. :-)

D7ana said...

Hi Chasing Joy! Glad to expand your doll knowledge ;-)