Friday, October 3, 2014

October Highlights: Heritage, History, Halloween, and Sales!

Target Exclusive Happy Halloween Barbie 2014
Rocking her pink, black, and spider theme costume, Target Exclusive Happy Halloween Barbie 2014

Hey, hey, it's October! Aside from the orange, black, and bloody Halloween scenes, what can you expect on PhillyCollector this month? Heritage! History ... of select dolls and action figures. Sales. Sales? Oh, yes.

Heritage, first though. Which ethnicities have the spotlight?

Black* (Character Options among others.)

Filipino American (Mostly Mattel.)

German American (I'm a little late here. Mattel, yes.)

Italian American (Mattel, yes, but other manufacturers represent this heritage.)

Polish American (Mostly Mattel.)

Whoa, you might be thinking: Black History/Heritage is highlighted in February. Why is she writing about it in October? Well ... aside from every month "belonging" to everyone, regardless of national acknowledgment, I've just learned that October is also Black Heritage Month ... in the United Kingdom*. Ha!

History ... well, it's LGBT History Month. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender representation in playscale by timeline.

Sales. Those dolls and action figures that want/need to move on? They'll be going out this month.

Last, but certainly not least - October 29th is National Cat Day. So I'll bring out some playscale felines.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi D7ana, looking forward to your October posts, your subjects are very interesting!

Phyllis said...

Wow, so much going on in October. I never knew October was Polish American month and I am half Polish! I do have one Polish dolls of the World (Barbie), but that is about it. I look forward to your posts on these topics -- always interesting!

Buffy said...

You've taken on a lot for October but if anyone can do it, you can. I'll be watching especially for your Halloween highlights.

jewel snake said...

Polish American month ? Very interesting! I'm polish woman, and I'm very interested in the way how American people see Polish culture and country! It's pity Mattel didn't make any other Polish doll, except this one of DOTW, dressed in folk clothes. We have quite long history, (even I can personaly track my ancestors from 1370 until present day, obviously), full of big wars, including both world wars, betrayals, uprisings, Poland even diseapered from the world map twice, so there's really a lot to choose from, if Mattel would like to make another doll.

Smaller Places said...

This promises to be amazing!

Being still stuck on Hispanic at least until Day of the Dead, I'm torn between attempting to participate and standing back and applauding quietly. Applause may win, but in an admiring way.

billa's dolls and fashions said...

Can't wait to read them, you picked some really interesting subjects!

D7ana said...

Hi Night Owl, Phyllis, Roville, Jewel Snake, and Smaller Places!

@Night Owl - hope you enjoy the posts!

@Phyllis - Hope you enoy the month and the posts here ;-)

@Roville - thanks for the vote of confidence ;-D! I've got a cool idea for some Halloween fun this year.

@Jewel snake - We have a Polish American Cultural Center Museum in Philadelphia. Tomorrow is the Pulaski Day Parade.
It is a pity that Mattel only created the one explicitly Polish DOTW Barbie, but we can always find dolls they produce that we can "make" Polish unofficially.

@Smaller Places - oh I have not forgotten my other Hispanic posts. Please do participate - that makes more enjoyable readings. Time permitting, of course ;-)

Thanks for your comments; I look forward to this being a fun packed month.

D7ana said...

Hi Billa's dolls and fashions! Thanks for the compliment; I hope you enjoy this month's posts!

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: great plans for this new month. I like this Barbie Halloween. Keep in touch

RoxanneRoxanne said...

Cool plans for October! I'll be looking forward to your posts. :)

D7ana said...

Hi Marta and RoxanneRoxanne - i enjoy the fall/winter seasons and holidays. I hope you'll enjoy the posts ;-)

Muff said...

Very much looking forward to these posts! I quite enjoyed last month's posts and how other blogs picked up on it to share their Hispanic dolls.

D7ana said...

Hi Muff! Thanks for telling me that. I'm glad you enjoyed last month's posts. It's fun, too, to see what others have to share ;-)