Sunday, October 12, 2008

High School Musical 3: Prom Date Dolls at Walmart

Very pleased to have found the High School Musical 3 Senior Year: Prom Date dolls at a Walmart on Roosevelt Boulevard -- the one at Tower Boulevard. I saw and bought

Ryan and Kelsie
Sharpay and Zeke

Ryan wears a peach three piece suit with a white collar, black sparkly tie, black top hat, and black oxford shoes. Kelsie wears a cream sleeveless dress with peach floral overdress and peach gladiator platform sandals.

Sharpay wears a fuchsia sleeveless satin dress with silver trim at the bodice and the waist and semi-sheer fuchsia glitter kitten heeled pumps. Zeke wears a black satin jacket with tails, white shirt, black string tie, charcoal pants, and black oxford shoes.

At first, I was NOT going to get the Ryan set because I thought the peach suit would be too froo froo. But seeing the suit on the doll, it looks nicer than I had thought it would. While I don't follow this movie series, I do think that the peach suit looks like something the Ryan doll would wear.

I was NOT going to get the Sharpay-Zeke set because most Sharpays look cross-eyed and I had thought that Zeke would look like Steven. This particular Sharpay looks a little less cross-eyed than most, but what really drew me was the Zeke doll. He seems to have more personality than the Steven/Black Ken dolls. And I liked the idea of my Graduation Day Chad having a Black male companion his age and size. Just so that Chad isn't the only "other" in the group of male dolls his age and size.

I like to have a mix of races and ethnicities in my collection.

I'm glad to have nabbed a Sharpay-Zeke set also because I can imagine the protest letters pouring in. Think some people had fits about the solo pregnant Midges? This pairing of a white female doll and a black male doll in ONE box ... oh the outrage that is going to come forth. It doesn't matter what happens in the movie -- there are going to be protests about the dolls. How dare Mattel combine these dolls like this -- and yes, Mattel was brave to create this duo -- and this has to go down in doll history because I cannot think of a time when any doll company has ever romantically paired a black and a white doll. John Smith can be with Pocahontas, but Black dolls are always set off with other Black dolls. Eh well, it is 2008. Time to shake up things, hmmm?

No comments: