Friday, July 12, 2013

Even More Asian Fashion Dolls and Action Figures

I did write that I had more Asian fashion dolls and action figures to show. You may recognize some of these figures.


Reclining Hasbro Special Response Team G.I. Joe. Standing left to right: Dragon Ekin Cheng, Dragon Michael Chan, arms stretching Spinmaster Bollywood Legends Hrithik Roshan, Mattel Amazing Nails Lea, M and C Toys StarRunner Hung, and Dragon My Story Jackie Chan. Kneeling Playmates Sulu (2009).






Closer photo of Hasbro Special Response Team Japanese-American G.I. Joe, Dragon Ekin Cheng, and Michael Chan.



Closer photo of Spinmaster Bollywood Legends Hrithik Roshan, Playmates Sulu (2009), Mattel Amazing Nails Lea, M and C Toys StarRunner Hung, and Dragon My Story Jackie Chan.


Face close-ups of Mattel Amazing Nails Lea, M and C Toys StarRunner Hung, and Dragon My Story Jackie Chan show varying degrees of realism. Dragon figures look the most life-like, but this Mattel doll and this M and C Toys action figure are more life-like than say Mattel's Asian Disney characters.


M and C Toys StarRunner Hung and Mattel Amazing Nails Lea call for another photo. They are attractive, but not necessarily a couple. Alas Hung has boxing gloves for hands so he's not "made for" romance.


Playmates Sulu (2009) and Mattel Amazing Nails Lea look a little more couple-like. Not that they are yet, but who's to say?



Spinmaster Bollywood Legends Hrithik Roshan strikes a dramatic pose to show off his long legs in groovy bell bottoms boot cut jeans. If Asian male dolls are hard to find in the U.S.A., Indian Asian male dolls are even more elusive. Mr. Roshan came from Great Britain by way of Amazon.co.uk . He's worth every extra bit of postage I paid for him.



Dragon's Michael Chan refused to take off his well-tailored gray suit. Well, he's allowing a peep at the inner construction of his jacket. The jacket has shoulder pads and his trousers have darts, center front and back creases, and belt loops. Like many action figures, he has a realistic face.  
 



Hasbro Special Response Team G.I. Joe wants everyone to know that unlike the
Japanese Air Force Officer, he is a Japanese-American Joe. (Well, he has the new Japanese head sculpt.*) This distinction matters because the earlier Asian characters in the playscale G.I. Joe line were foreign soldiers. (I am curious about when the first Asian G.I. Joe appeared; the first Black American Joe appeared in 1965, a year after Joe broke the doll action figure scene. Need to find that out.)





Last photo for this set: close-up of Ekin Cheng.I will be posting photos of Mattel's Generation Girl Mari, R and D's Susie, Volks' Who's That Girl, and other Asian fashion dolls and action figures soon. Please stop by to see them.


*Unfortunately, the website showing the named Hasbro head sculpts has been removed. I will have to find another source to verify the Joe head names.

11 comments:

Georgia Girl said...

Love your Asian dolls. I really like Hung and Lea together. Both are great looking dolls.

D7ana said...

Thanks, Georgia Girl! They are two of the best looking DAFs I have ;-)

limbe dolls said...

My favorite is Hung even if he does have boxing gloves for hands. It was very interesting to see all the other Asian dolls. Good point about the Asian American Joe. It seems that most of the Asian dolls and action figures available are celebrity likenesses. I wish there were more Asian figures in the general play scale lines.

Cindi Mortensen said...

I really like Roshan. Does he have rooted hair? :-)

D7ana said...

Hi, Limbe Dollls! Hung does stand out. Such a cutie ;-)

I didn't realize how few Asian American dolls and action figures there are until I checked for the Asian American Joes. Wow, what a discrepancy. I am glad that overseas manufacturers provide Asian dolls and action figures, whether they offer official or unofficial likenesses of celebrities. I try to find them nude - the action figures, that is - so that they are more easily affordable.

D7ana said...

Hi Cindi! Roshan has plastic molded hair ;-P

I would have LOVED rooted hair for him. Sigh.

Vanessa said...

So much Asian hotness! Thanks for sharing the love.

Muff said...

I agree with Vanessa! Loving all the Asian hotness.

You have probably said before, but how many years have you been collecting, because you have such an extensive array of dolls.

D7ana said...

LOL - Vanessa and Muff, they are some fine dudes, hey? You are welcome; glad to share. I have been collecting since my teens - you know how some people stop "playing with dolls?" Well, I didn't, lol. I bought less when I went to college, but I never stopped. So you're looking at about 37 years of collecting. Since my focus is playscale dolls and action figures, usually, I can get them at reasonable prices. Usually which does not help, lol.

Ms. Leo said...

Yes, you do have a lot of Asian dolls. I was surprised that there wasn't much history on Asian Joes. I have a few too. I saw a book (with pictures) on GI Joe at Borders once. (I should have got it.) There may be sources for info out there. I really like the Michael Chan. I have only seen him sold nude. It was nice to see how well made his suit was.

D7ana said...

Yes, Ms. Leo, there isn't a lot of history on the Asian Joes as Asian Joes apart from general Joe history. I'll see what I can gather up and do a post on him ;-)

Oh, yes. Michael Chan has a fine suit. Some of the other guys are checking it out now, ha ha.