Monday, June 22, 2020

Discovering BTS Via Mattel's BTS Idol Dolls, Part 1

Mattel BTS dolls greeted by some East Philly A.R.M.Y.


When I first saw the BTS dolls, I thought, "Not for me." I'm on the shady side of fifty. I don't know much about rap or hip hop except that I like Tupac Shakur's "California Love."  I don't collect Pullip dolls although I do have - or had - one Sharp doll by Sonokong. Most significantly, I know zilch about the Korean language. So I'm not a likely buyer for dolls based on a renown K-pop group. Or am I?

Fast forward a few months. I read on one of my doll-related Facebook  groups that Five Below is carrying the BTS dolls for $5.00 each. New Asian male faces in play scale plus budget price? I check a My Froggy Stuff video. Hmmm ... interesting. I check two re-dressing videos - one re-dressing BTS dolls V and Jungkook and another re-dressing ALL of the BTS members. Wonder what they sound like? So I listen to and watch the videos "On" and "Idol." Hey, they're GOOD. I mean, I love the choreography and the strong beats. Next thing, I'm "just glancing" at the guys in various interviews. It doesn't hit me until I'm watching their 7 year anniversary party, but I'm smitten. BTS is adorable. 

So am I hauling dolls, action figures, cat, two turtles and self to South Korea?

Pause to consider. Nooooo ... I mean my family is here. I'm only getting on an airplane when the ground around me is ensconced in flames. I don't speak or understand the Korean language. I love my creature comforts. "Smitten" over 50 is not the same as "smitten" at say 16 or 20. Senior smitten means I'm gonna maybe buy some DVDs and/or create a YouTube playlist. I'm not attending any concerts - pause in horror at the idea of doing so even BEFORE the present Coronavirus nightmare - or vying with younger fans or about to become an - ahem - A.R.M.Y. member. I will feel happy to have learned about them, long-distance fond of them, and so going to get the other BTS dolls. C’est tout.


For Part 2 of this blog topic, I'll debox the BTS dolls I have and compare them with other dolls and action figures I have. Usually, I find dolls of real people and that's that. I like the new faces. This has to be the first time getting a doll series sparked interest in a musical group for me. Anyone else become a BTS fan - or fan of other artists - after a doll purchase?




 


11 comments:

D7ana said...

The cat and the turtles are ecstatic that they don't have to move, Linda! I think the cat would have left me to go to my sister. The turtles aren't keen on moving either. They resent having their tanks cleaned at times. They want the water clear, but it's a nuisance to be moved about. Sigh. I'm in the best spot for doll collecting, too.

Not to mention I've saved my family from embarrassment. Shrug.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Linda!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I've known about K-Pop for quite a while, although I'm not a fan of a particular group. I like the K-Pop dance moves, and the unique fashions. Like you, I picked up a couple of the BTS dolls for the articulated Asian male bodies. One body will get a new head; one won't. I kept wanting to share pictures of the dolls I picked up, but other stuff kept happening.

Shasarignis said...

Nice new dolls Dana, ... and did you receive my email ?

D7ana said...

Hi, Barb the Evil Genius! I've heard the term "K-Pop," but I assumed it wouldn't interest me. I'm pleasantly surprised that I like the dancing and the outfits and the scenes. I'd love to see the dolls you picked up. A new head for the BTS body? Hmmm ... I'll see them after you post them. I'll be the last person to pressure anyone to posting ;-)

D7ana said...

Hi Shasarignis! Thanks for commenting. Yes, I received your message. I sent you a response, but if you have not received it, I'll send it again. ;-)

monstercrafts said...

Hello D7ana! I've seen your recent comment on my blog, thanks for stopping by. I've just found out that you've been blogging recently, but for some reason I've missed it. I've added you again to my read list, so I don't miss more posts.

I personally don't know anything about K-pop bands, neither is that my prefered music style. However, a male doll with an articulated body and real hair is something that always catches my interest. However, I found out that these dolls don't use the regular Ken body, so I didn't try to get them. Being that said, if I saw them for 5 $ like you did, I would probably grab one.

Take care.

D7ana said...

Hi Monstercrafts! Thanks for stopping by ;-)

Yes, I'm blogging again - big grin. Thanks for adding me to your reading list - bigger grin.

No, these guys don't use the regular Ken bodies - I've heard them described as a cross between Ken bodies and Monster High bodies. I don't have any Monster High dolls so I can't speak on that description.

I've found 2 more of the guys at another Five Below store. The sixth, I found at Target, and alas - had to pay about $15 for him. I didn't want to take a chance that I'd miss "V" so I paid the extra bucks. (Plus, I had bought 5 of them for $5.00 each. I could "afford" to pay a little more for one , lol.)

Take care.

Jaye's Doll Space said...

The K-Pop dolls are definitely different. I got two for their clothes, but they can live with the residents and have some sort of role. I get that your interest grew once you gave K-Pop a chance. It's nice that you got something new out of it.

D7ana said...

Hi, Jaye's Doll Space! Thanks for visiting and for commenting.

The interest in K-Pop took me by surprise. I'm happy to find something cheerful to watch. I look forward to seeing the new residents appear in your stories.

Take care.

Tam said...

I don't care for the music, but I love the dolls. Are they still available at 5 Below?

D7ana said...

Hi, Tam! Yes, the BTS dolls are still at 5 Below. I'm uploading a post today about which Philly stores I found them at. Thanks for commenting.